Thursday, November 6, 2014

HYCCT1408 My Hero, My Husband :-)

Hi Stampers!

Woohoo!!  It was alot of work (since I started on October 31st vs. October 1st) but I have finished all of the 35 of the Splitcoaststampers Hope You Can Cling To Challenges (HYCCT) to promote Breast Cancer Awareness and create cards to encourage those with cancer and their families. 

This card was created for bkfinlay aka Bridget’s HYCCT1408 “My Hero” Challenge - (see the gallery here and the details here) along with The Paper Players PP220 Vintage challenge.  

I have many “heroes” in my life- first and foremost for me is my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ! I can never forget, or be thankful enough, for His sacrifice on the cross for my sins and the free gift of salvation.   I also feel that the men and women who serve our country in the armed forces are heroes along with our police, fire, doctors, pastors, nurses, teachers and others in public service.  Of course, I cannot forget my parents (my Mother has been with the Lord for over 20 years and I am fortunate that my Father is still alive), but I chose to make this card in honor of my "hero" husband, Dave. 

Dave and I have been together almost 32 years and he still loves me unconditionally (amazing, huh? :-))  He is the best husband in the world, faithful to the Lord, his wife and his job (he has been with the same company for 43 ½ years – through two mergers in the last nine years) and starting next week, he will have to undergo chemotherapy for a rare form of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.

Dave loves sports, especially baseball (the Orioles and Nationals-he is a “hometown boy”) so I decided to pull out one of my favorite masculine retired sets, Take Me Out to the Ballgame along with paper from Graphic 45's Good Ol' Sport Collection to create this card in Dave’s honor.

Again, I hope you will find the time to check out the links above- the Splitcoaststampers HYCCT "Hope You Can Cling To" Challenge is a yearly one and next year, I hope I can start creating when the challenge starts on the 1st of the month (versus waiting until the end of the month- it could not be helped this year due to the tests, etc. that Dave had to have in October). 

To create this card:

Ink the batter image using Memento™ Tuxedo Black Ink onto a piece of Very Vanilla cardstock.   Color the image using Stampin’ Up! watercolor pencils and dilute using an AquaPainter™.

Use the Distressing Tool to distress the edges and use a Sponge Dauber to apply Baked Brown Sugar Classic Ink to “antique” the paper and edges.  Stamp the Gorgeous Grunge splatter stamp using Baked Brown Sugar to add additional distressing.

Mount the distressed panel onto a piece of Basic Black cardstock and use the Distressing Tool to distress the edges and “match” the stamped image.

Mount a piece of Graphic45 Good Ol’ Sport background paper (I used an Orange piece for the Orioles theme) to the Basic Black card base. 

Distress the edges of the Good Ol’ Sport newsprint paper with the Distressing Tool (be careful, the tool can tear the paper a bit too much) and use the Baked Brown Sugar Classic Ink in the same manner as the focal image to add a bit more distressing.  

Mount the distressed newsprint panel onto the card front and add the ticket stub strip (adhering the ticket stub strip on the ends only).

Stamp the sentiment from Service and Sacrifice using Memento™ Tuxedo Black Ink onto Very Vanilla cardstock, create the banner points using the Hexagon Punch and sponge the edges with Baked Brown Sugar Classic Ink .

Insert the Graphic45 cut-a-way along with the retired Antique Pewter Hodgepodge Hardware spiral clip (this comes out of the band and I adhered a little note on the back as well as milestones for us on the front:-)).

Add the focal image to the card front and mount the sentiment along with the Basic Black button (retired Neutrals Collection).

Stamp Sets: Take Me Out to the Ballgame, Courage and Sacrifice, Gorgeous Grunge

Ink:  Baked Brown Sugar, Memento™ Tuxedo Black Ink; Stampin’ Up! Watercolor Pencils

Paper: Very Vanilla, Basic Black; Graphic 45 Good Ol’ Sport

Accessories: Distressing Tool, Sponge Dauber, Hexagon; retired Basic Black button

In order to make the deadline for the HYCCT uploads to the Splitcoaststampers gallery, I will be posting the cards to my gallery at Splitcoaststampers (here) and will update my blog later this week/weekend (I have 27 more cards to post and describe:-)).


Thanks again for visiting- you are all a blessing to me!!   I hope you have a chance to  personally thank the "heroes" in your life!!

14 comments:

Claire Broadwater said...

Julie, I love your card! Baseball is a favorite of mine too! Your husband will cherish this card! Best Wishes to him during his treatment! Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers! Also, congratulations on your accomplishment completing all those cards for the challenges! XX

Andrea W said...

All your layers and distressing looks fantastic. A wonderful masculine take on the vintage challenge. So glad you shared your creation at The Paper Players.

Anonymous said...

Wow Julie, tell your husband he is a real HERO. I'm sure he will experience God's grace during this transitional time in your lives. Thank you for sharing the upcoming journey and for always inspiring us with your Works of ART...God's gift in you is so apparent!

Unknown said...

Love your art Julie. Praying and hoping your husband has complete response from the chemo. A survivor of composite b-cell lymphoma here with both non-Hodgkin's and Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Nance Leedy said...

Julie, your husband will love this! It is the best blend of your fabulous vintage style and some of his favorite things! Love the collage style of papers and elements you've pulled together. Hoping your husband respond well to the treatment...thank you for joining us at The Paper Players!

laurie said...

First off, your card is fantastic, and just perfect for the vintage theme. It's awesome! Thanks for joining us this week at The paper Players.

Next,I just want to say that I will be praying for your hubby. God will be with you both as he goes through his treatments!


Unknown said...

Gorgeous vintage card Julie, and special thoughts and prayers for you and your hubby!

LeAnne said...

This is an awesome creation, Julie! I will be praying for your DH too...he sounds like a great guy and I hope he is able to beat his illness! I love all the details you added to your card, too! I didn't know you were originally from the Baltimore area! I saw Cal Ripkin hit a home run in Camden Yards the one & only time I ever saw the Orioles play....an exciting day for me! Thanks so much for playing with my challenge this week!

cm said...

What a wonderful tribute to heroes in your life, and especially to your husband. Sending prayers and positive vibes that he heals well and quickly. I'm sure he will, especially with you by his side to encourage and support. Your vintage card: fabulous! Congrats on your Paper Players win!
~c

Connie Babbert said...

What a wonderful tribute to your husband! Love all the collage elements. My thoughts and prayers going out to both of you for guidance and peace throughout the trials ahead in dealing with his illness.

Heidi Weaver said...

What a wonderful card, and a wonderful tribute, Julie. Prayers that your husband wins this battle.

facsmom said...

Your card leaves me speechless:). I can see your husband enjoying looking at this card during the rough days ahead. So many points of awesomeness.

Brenda in IN said...

I just pop in from time to time and look at your beautiful cards. Your post today touched me and I want you to know I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. This is a great card for him!

Julie Gearinger said...

Thanks everyone for all of your kind words and prayers!! My hubby was very touched by the card and the knowledge that so many people are praying for him around the world- we feel so blessed! Thanks again and may the Lord bless each of you richly- hugs to all of you, my friends!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...